Candles 101: How to Choose the Highest Quality Candles
Buying candles seems simple enough. After all, candles are sold almost everywhere. But the question is, can you really tell the difference between a dollar store candle and a candle purchased from a high-end boutique? Are all of these candles created equally? What really makes a candle worth a higher price point?
When it comes to candle basics, the first thing you need to understand is that not all candles are the same. Every candle can be made from different waxes, wicks, and fragrances. And these choices make all the difference when it comes to the quality of the finished product.
A poor quality candle can cause uneven burning, sparking, smoking, and more.
Understanding Candle Wax
When it comes to candles, there are several types of wax candles can be molded from. These different waxes can make an impact in the way a candle burns and if the fumes burned are safe for use in your home.
- Soy wax - This eco-friendly alternative to paraffin wax burns cleanly. Because it burns so cleanly, it is a great choice for scented candles. This type of wax also burns more slowly resulting in less soot and smoke when being used.
- Paraffin wax - The most popular option for candles, there are a lot of different types of paraffin. Cheap paraffin can release toxins into the air and cause smoke and soot to appear on ceilings when in use.
- Natural paraffin wax - Highly-refined paraffin burns much cleaner, is dripless, smokeless, and oftentimes self-extinguishing.
Understanding Candle Wicks
Wicks might not seem like an important part of the candle since it just burns off, but there are a lot of options when it comes to candle wicks. The wick affects how evenly a candle burns, how fast it burns, and how much additional smoke or soot is created.
- Cotton wicks - Most wicks are made of cotton wicks with a paper, zinc, or tin core. These are the most popular because they are safe options that typically burn cleanly and safely. Organic wicks offer an added layer of quality to the finished product and can burn even cleaner than traditional cotton wicks.
- Wood wicks - Wood wicks are shorter and create wider flame heights. This keeps them at a safe height and helps to reduce carbon buildup. They also produce minimal debris and soot when burned.
Not all candles have fragrances and that typically comes down to a matter of personal taste. Some candles are designed to be more decorative and create an atmosphere rather than burn to create a smell.
- Synthetic oils - One of the main reasons people avoid scented candles is because most candle scents are created using synthetic oils. These man-made fragrances help to prevent allergy issues and ensure candles burn more safely, but are not typically organic.
Ultimately, clean-burning, organic wick candles are the smartest and most high-quality option for burning in your home. You can feel comfortable that organic candles will be smokeless, dripless, and self-extinguishing.
When you shop Flatyz, you can feel confident you are shopping only for the highest quality candles. All of our candles are handmade with love, organic wicks, and highly-refined paraffin. This is something you just can’t get when you buy mass-produced candles. Shop online today. Find a style that speaks to you.